When it comes time to pack up your life and move to a new home, one of your biggest decisions is how exactly to do it. The two most popular options are doing the move yourself (often called DIY moving) or hiring expert movers to handle it. Each alternative has advantages and disadvantages, and the optimal option can differ significantly based on several criteria.
In this article, we will shed some light on the pros and cons of hiring movers vs. moving yourself to assist you in making an informed decision for your next relocation adventure.
Should You Hire Movers or Do It Yourself?
Moving involves a lot of decisions. The decision of which Realtor to hire, the house to purchase, and what furniture to move is difficult. It's also important to decide whether hiring movers or doing the move yourself is better. We're happy to assist you in determining the best option for your move.
The decision to hire movers versus move yourself depends on several factors, including your budget, proximity to your new home, personality, and the complexity of your move. Most people need help carrying a sofa and mattress down a flight of stairs. You may also not have friends who can do the heavy lifting or are handy. Many of us are left with only one option: hiring movers. Many people have done several DIY moves and saved money.
Before choosing one course of action, weigh the benefits and drawbacks of each.
- You are in total control of your move. The biggest advantage to DIY moving is that you have complete control over every aspect. You can choose your truck, all moving supplies, and boxes to ensure nothing gets damaged. When you commit to a DIY move, you can decide when to start and end the move. You can choose how to protect your possessions if you move during bad weather. Also, you can decide how the truck is loaded. You don't need to worry that movers will place furniture and boxes in the wrong room.
- Save money. If you are on a budget, a DIY move may be for you. Even if it's just moving next door, hiring a mover can be expensive and cost more than you expected. Renting a moving van could help you save thousands. For example, it offers a 26-foot moving truck that can accommodate four-plus rooms. The rental price starts at $40. You can also add additional supplies and accessories for an extra fee.
- Pack your items however you like – As with the previous pro, when preparing to move yourself, you do not have to worry about packing everything perfectly. When the movers arrive, they will expect all boxes to be sealed. By moving yourself, however, you will not have to pack oddly shaped items, like lamps and plants. Worrying about how to pack simple items like pillows and blankets is unnecessary. Pack as much or as little as you like – make sure everything is in the truck when moving day arrives.
- You must do all the heavy lifting yourself. This is true unless you have the strongest and best friends to help. Even so, moving all those heavy boxes and large pieces of furniture will be challenging – especially when stairs are involved. You or your friends who are not experienced movers could scratch or mark the walls when moving couches and beds. Moving a one-bedroom apartment without professional help may be possible, but moving a five-bedroom home may cause you to break your back.
- It takes a lot of planning. Don't be misled; hiring a moving service also requires planning. It will take a lot of planning to coordinate an entire move. It's important to consider the logistics of moving your belongings from A to B. This includes deciding which items to load first, what to place last, and how to arrange them inside the moving truck.
- You may be unable to fix unexpected problems if something happens, like your couch is stuck in the front door. You could spend hours fixing the problem without the help of professional movers or certain moving tools.
- You will not have to lift a single finger. These trained movers are there for a good reason. You won't need to lift and carry heavy sofas down the stairs or out the front door if you hire a reputable company. Also, you won't need to worry about aching muscles, scratching your new floor, or asking friends for help. You can instead focus on other important tasks, such as watching your child or pet. You can also relax and take a break.
- It will be effective to move. You can count on their dependability if you work with a trustworthy, knowledgeable moving company. Unlike friends, the moving firm will continue to do business. Moving firms should arrive on time and with the required tools and materials. Thanks to this, you won't have to assemble dollies and furniture pads at the last minute. Long-term savings from using a reliable moving company are substantial.
- Overall, less stress – Hiring movers will save you from many common moving day stresses. Hiring movers will save you time and help you avoid the hassle of driving a huge truck on the highway. Driving moving trucks is notoriously difficult and tricky. Trailers aren't much better. We recommend hiring movers if driving and loading a large truck makes you nervous.
- You lose control – If you hire professional movers, you will have less flexibility. You can keep the time and date of the pickup and how the movers pack your items. If the moving company makes multiple stops, you may have to wait weeks for the truck. If you want complete control, hiring a moving service may be for someone else.
- It’s expensive – According to reports, the average cost of a local moving ranges between $875 and $2,350. Estimates may include a flat rate or an hourly fee. On average, local movers charge between $25 and $50 per worker. It may or may not include a dolly and a truck. A four-bedroom house can cost up to $1200 to hire movers. Moving outside the state can cost between $2,200 and $5,700, depending on the distance and weight. The average household's possessions weigh around 7,500 pounds. What a pricey move! Hiring a mover will cost much, even if you move down the street or just a few blocks.
- You may not know the movers personally. It can be nerve-racking to hand over your valuable belongings. It's important to research, read reviews, and compare ratings before hiring a moving service to assist you. We recommend hiring a licensed and insured moving company from Moving.com to avoid scams. Ensure the moving company inspects your home in person or via video before providing a quote.
Hybrid Move: A Mix of DIY Moving and Professional Moving Services
Consider this: the average cost of moving locally is $1250, while a move long distance (1,000 miles) is $4890. These estimates are based upon a move of about 7,500 pounds for a house with two to three bedrooms. This is a large amount of money. You can do some of your moving yourself, even if you're on a tight budget or have little stuff to move. The beauty of a DIY or hybrid move is that you can save money. With some planning, it's possible to save a lot of money.
You can ask your friends and family to help you move by offering them pizza and cold drinks. However, anyone planning to move independently should consider hiring moving day laborers to help. Let's face it: no one wants to help move heavy furniture and boxes. Neither will their friends.
You can outsource moving day labor by paying a professional for each hour of work (typically, it is two hours minimum with increments between 15-30 minutes). They will load and unload the truck you rented from the previous destination. It's not just rental trucks but also moving containers and storage units. Not all companies include packing, unpacking, and furniture disassembly.
More to Consider
Do you still need to decide if hiring a professional mover suits your situation? To help you decide, we've put together a list of questions.
How Much Time Have You Got?
Your move is a major undertaking. You'll want to consider how long it will take to move out of your old home and into the new one. Are there any deadlines? Hiring professional movers may be more cost-effective if you have a deadline. Not only can they do the job for you, but they can also do it faster and more efficiently. They'll also do it promptly. You don't have to hire someone to do both ends. You may have time to pack boxes, but you need help unpacking to get started on a new job and prepare for the holidays. Use them when you need them.
What Is the Value of Your Time?
It is important to ask yourself this question. Get three quotes in person from moving companies. After you get their quote and know how long they expect them to move you, estimate how long it will take you and your family to do the work. Include the time you spend packing, loading the van, and any other tasks the movers would be responsible for. Be honest. You will need more time than the movers to complete the task.
Multiply your hourly rate by how many hours you estimate you need to move. If you make $50 per hour, multiply it by the number of hours that you estimate a day to be. Remember to include your partner's hourly rate and time, the cost of moving supplies, a truck rental, and the gas used. After you add these costs to your hourly rate, it could cost less to hire professional moving services! Use our Packing Calculator and Moving Cost Calculator to estimate the number of boxes you will need.
How Far Have You Moved?
Moving to a different state or even another country is much more difficult than moving down the street. If you're moving nearby, you can take small boxes and other items to your new home during the week. This will reduce the work you must do on the day you move. Moving nearby is also relatively easy. On a moving day, you only need to rent a truck and pack your boxes. Long-distance moving can be complicated because you need to cross state borders. If you are moving abroad, your possessions must pass through customs. It's better to leave these things in the hands of professionals than to stress yourself.
What Is the Area You Most Need Help With?
You can hire a professional mover for some things. You can hire them for tasks you feel you need more confidence about. You can hire them if you only need assistance disassembling, lifting, and reassembling your furniture. If packing your entire belongings is overwhelming, let them help. You may have a few items you need help with packing. Professional movers will pack your art collection or a piece of special artwork. When moving, ask yourself what causes you the most stress. Hiring movers may be worth hiring if they take away your stress.
Are You Stocked With the Necessary Supplies?
You'll also need packing tape and boxes. Moving supplies like dollies and moving blankets are also required. You'll have to rent or buy them if you don't own them. You'll also need to hire help for moving day. Finding family members and friends willing to work in exchange for pizza can also be difficult. When you choose movers who are experts in their field, you need not worry about anything. They'll bring resources, moving boxes, tape, and moving supplies.
What Is Your Packing Ability?
To preserve your possessions in the event of an accident, we could do a better job of packing them properly. This can be tricky if you have fragile or oddly shaped objects. You should also be able to move large items. You should be able to move a sofa down the stairs with a 90-degree turn without damaging any walls. Let movers handle these tasks if they seem overwhelming.
Are You Physically Fit?
Moving can be physically demanding. Hiring movers is a good idea if you suffer from chronic shoulder pain, back pain, or a bad leg. Hiring movers may be the best option if you find it difficult to bend, twist, or stand on your feet for long periods. You don't have as much stamina as you used to? Also, movers can help. They can save you from pain and injury, as well as time.
You’ve Made Up Your Mind Yet?
We've got you taken care of if you hire a professional mover to assist with your entire or part of the move. We have a large network of reliable and reputable movers that can pack and move the entire house and do all the heavy lifting. These movers are registered and bonded, so you can ensure your belongings are secure.
Ultimately, evaluating the costs and benefits based on your circumstances is essential whether you hire movers or go the DIY moving route. From considering your physical ability, time constraints, your budget to move to New York, and the actual process of moving, you have seen that each option presents unique advantages and challenges.
If you seek the convenience, speed, and reliability of professional movers, 5 Star Movers Brooklyn is your go-to resource. We emphasize efficiency, attention to detail, and a commitment to providing a superior moving experience.
Deciding to move is significant; choosing the right moving partner shouldn't add to your stress. Let 5 Star Movers Brooklyn take the load off your shoulders while you prepare for the exciting new chapter in your new New York home.
Call 5 Star Movers Brooklyn today and let us deliver a stress-free, timely, affordable move tailored to your needs. Your satisfaction is our priority. Your successful move starts with us!
Kyran Wiley is a caring relocation specialist and an empowering mentor, renowned for her exceptional expertise in guiding individuals and families through successful relocations. With a genuine passion for helping others navigate the complexities of moving, Linda has become a trusted source of support, offering compassionate assistance and expert guidance during this transformative phase.
Linda's interest in the moving process was sparked during her own experiences of relocating to different cities due to her family's job transfers. These transitions exposed her to the challenges and opportunities that came with each move, igniting her curiosity about the logistics and emotional aspects of relocations. Inspired to make a positive impact in the lives of others during times of change, Linda pursued a career in the moving industry.